Building Understanding and Fluency in Addition and Subtraction with basic facts and beyond
What's the system suitable for?
Bond Blocks is a comprehensive system for the teaching of basic addition and subtraction facts. The Bond Blocks system has two purposes:
- Mental Maths for Years 1 to 3
Linking part-part-whole understanding with basic addition and subtraction fact fluency and associated word problems.
- As a Intervention Support System for students in Years 3 – 6
For older students who count to add and subtract.
The Bond Block Test is used for placement and monitoring.
Activities designed to support students with learning disabilities.
- The blocks are not scored, reducing the tendency to simply count.
- The natural wood colour of the sustainably-sourced New Zealand Pine reduces distraction of colourful plastic and focuses children on the numbers.
- Ten is represented with two different blocks: Linear Ten and an Empty Ten Frame, similar to a ten strip and ten frame.
- They are a ratio of one unit : 2 cm making them easy to manipulate.
- They are self-checking, encouraging number sense and estimation.
There’s a lot you can do with just the Blocks themselves and the Bond Blocks Out of the Box book, but the activity boards (included in a school pack) let you do so much more.
Teaching Modelled in Video
- Explicit teaching of the activity
- Demonstrating to teachers how to link the mathematical manipulative, the language and symbols
Differentiations – Done!
- Free downloads and website instructions to make the activity a little easier or harder
Activity Instructions, Assessments, Monitoring, Teacher Notes