- Levels 10 to 30+
- Reading ages 6 to 12
- Suitable for Years 2 to 4
1. Why was Reading Box Blue created?
John Walters, a primary school principal, noted that students were demonstrating improved decoding skills as a result of strong teaching and the implementation of the latest literacy strategies. He was keen to see that the students reading comprehension skills kept pace.
To support his teachers, John examined a wide variety of reading comprehension materials. He found that while many provided a general workout few were able to meet the specific needs or range of abilities found in both regular and multi-age classrooms. It was clear there was a need for a multi-levelled kit that provided all studentswith activities to develop skills in literal, interpretive, inferential and critical levels of reading comprehension. This kit also needed to be self-paced and self-marked, enhancing the operation of reading groups.
- Experienced and well known team of authors.
- Every card in the box provides excellent practice for NAPLAN tests.
- Each card in the box has 20 or 25 questions that are self marking.
- A simple 9 minute levelling test is provided so students can be assigned to their appropriate starting level.
- The backs of each card offer a wide selection of language and reading activities.
- A list of recommendations for modelled writing is provided.
- Questioning tests the students comprehension proficiency at a literal, interpretive, inferential and critical level.
- Optional Challenges are provided on each card to extend students. These often use head or implied questions.
- A range of strategies and interesting topics have been employed to motivate and stimulate both boys and girls.
2. Suitable for both boys and girls
- Boys and girls learn differently, and have different interests.
- Different strategies and topics are employed to grab the interest of both boys and girls.
- We have surveyed both boys and girls to find out what they like to read.
We are mindful of the fact that some boys are reluctant to read so we have designed high interest cards for them that include such topics as Zepplin airships, skateboarding and soccer. Typical boys' cards deal with technology, sport, action and adventure.
Girls are catered for also. Typical cards present moral dilemma situations and positive role models such as Lee's Pony and Girls Rule Again.
Having said that, all cards in Reading Box Blue have been designed to appeal to both genders.
3. The 3H’s – Here, Hidden, Head
The reading comprehension activities provide questions that give students practice in the 3H question types. The 3H strategy divides questions into three types: HERE, HIDDEN, and HEAD:
- HERE questions are obvious in the text ie. literal
- HIDDEN questions can be drawn from one or more parts of the text
- HEAD questions require the reader to bring their own knowledge or understanding to the information given in the text
|Alternative Codes||E6C107 F6C107 H6C107 L6C107 M6C107|
Great for extending students in Year 2 during the second half of the year. Yellow box is great for the beginning of Year 2
Review by wendy
"Great for extending students in Year 2 during the second half of the year. Yellow box is great for the beginning of Year 2"(Posted on 11/08/2020)
Write Your Own Review
$9* capped shipping Australia-wide!**
- Orders that contain "Large Freight Items" are not eligible. This includes but is not limited to Callero and Gratnells trolleys and frames.
- Additional delivery charges may apply, for example with some remote destinations. Any extra charges will be advised on order confirmation.
- $9 capped delivery and FREE shipping do not apply to fit-outs.
- Abacus Educational Suppliers can change these conditions at any time and can end the promotion without warning or notification.
- Abacus Educational Suppliers maintains the right to charge different delivery charges for any reason whatsoever.
- This offer only applies to orders placed online via this website with a shipping address located within Australia.
Delivery Information for non-eligible orders
Australian Customers - please use the rates below:
|Order Type||Freight (ex GST)|
|Express Freight Request||Contact us|
|New School Fit Out||Contact us|
|Large Items (Storage Frames / Trolleys)||$150.00|
Freight costs may exceed the above charges due to a schools remoteness and/or bulky items ordered. Schools will be informed of freight options before orders are processed.
The majority of orders are despatched within 24 hours and are expected to be delivered within 5-10 working days. All orders are delivered by Australia-wide freight, with tracking available. If you would like to use your own courier, need express freight or your order is taking longer than estimated, please don’t hesitate to contact us on (08) 9445 7133.
Overseas Customers - please use the rates below:
|Order Value (AUD)||Freight (AUD)
|Less than $100||$25.00|
|$100 - $199||$50.00|
|$200 - $399||$100.00|
|$400 - $699||$200.00|
|More than $699||$300.00|
|Storage Frames / Trolleys||$350.00|
The majority of orders are despatched within 24 hours and are expected to be delivered within 5-30 working days. All orders are delivered by local freight companies, with tracking available. If you would like to use your own courier, need express freight or your order is taking longer than estimated, please don’t hesitate to contact us on (+618) 9445 7133.