- Home /
- Primary Connections | Abacus Educational Suppliers
Discover our Award-Winning Primary Connections Resources
Abacus Educational Suppliers is the exclusive Australia-wide distributor of the award-winning Primary Connections resources. Supported by the Australian Government, Primary Connections is an innovative program that links the teaching of science with the teaching of literacy in Australian primary schools.
Primary Connections resources provide a clear and unique practical approach to teaching both subjects and include comprehensive advice for teachers as well as practical resources for students to use in the classroom. Fully aligned to the Australian Curriculum, Primary Connections focuses on developing students’ knowledge, understanding and skills through an inquiry-based approach.
- Primary Connections Units - Single units in a textbook format that allow students to explore topics in a more engaging and practical way.
- Primary Connections Kits - All the practical materials you need to explore the respective Primary Connections Units, conveniently bundled for you.
- Primary Connections Student Science Journals - The easiest way to help students record work and track progress. No more endless photocopying of resources.
- Primary Connections Kit Consumables - Restock kit materials without having to repurchase the whole kit.
Already know Primary Connections and looking for specific resources? Use the search box above for the quickest way to search and find resources by name.
Primary Connections Units
The units use an inquiry-based approach which is designed to help primary school students improve collaboration and learning skills.
Primary Connections Kits
Stored in sturdy Gratnells containers, these kits offer convenience and a simple way to set up and pack up all learning materials to teachers who seek to introduce simplicity and efficiency into their classes.
Student Science Journals
At times, Primary Connections units may directly reference Student Science Journals and provide matching content and resources. Although they are not a requirement, these journals do help in augmenting the learning experience.
The Primary Connections Learning Approach
The Primary Connections teaching and learning approach are based on leading research that encompasses:
- A 5Es teaching and learning model that has distinct learning phases that direct students on a learning journey.
- An inquiry and investigation based approach that allows students to ask their own questions that then form the basis for their learning.
- Collaborative learning opportunities. These allow for more effective learning to take place and also help to develop interpersonal skills.
- Linkage with the curriculum and the external environment, allowing authentic and real-world learning.
- A focus on evidence-based reasoning and critical thinking.
The Primary Connections Teaching & Learning Model
All Primary Connections units embed inquiry-based learning into a modified 5Es instructional model with the five phases: Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate and Evaluate (Bybee, 1997). Please see the table below for more information on the focus points of each of the 5Es phases:
Engage students and elicit prior knowledge
Provide hands-on experience of the phenomenon
Develop scientific explanations for observations and represent developing conceptual understanding
Consider current scientific explanations
Extend understanding to a new context or make connections to additional concepts through a student-planned investigation
Students re-represent their understanding and reflect on their learning journey, and teachers collect evidence about the achievement of outcomes